Wednesday 17 January 2018

Simplicity 1563 Dressing gown (Bath Robe)

Cotton Quilting Backing proved to be the perfect fabric to make my boy a summer bathrobe.  It was 2.8 m wide because presumably it can be used for a quilt for a double or queen sized bed. I found it hard to find cotton fabric appropriate for a teenager of 18 and fabric which was wider than 112cm.  With the narrower fabric I would have had to get 4 metres and that made it quite expensive.  But this was the perfect solution, plus I found it on the sale table. I pre-washed it and it was dream to iron and sew. 

I chose to do french seams to make the inside look professional.  But then when I went to put the side pockets in I realised the french seam wasn't going to allow it.  I opted to sew rectangular pockets on the front left and right instead.  You have to have somewhere to put your cell phone!

I lengthened the robe by 3 inches but then forgot to add this to the band when I cut it out (ie. the band around the neckline).  I did have to go and get another 0.25 of a metre, because it was a long piece!

My son is six foot two tall so the seams were really long - it was quite a marathon sew! I image, not as much as a marathon as sewing up a hot air balloon! You guessed it, I ran out of cotton and had to make another trip to Spotlight! He loves it!

Any questions please just ask!



No comments:

Post a Comment